Re: [LUG] possible deluge of questions

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 12:36:05PM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> I'm a member of a thing called DASH - the Devon Association of
> Smallholders and toying with the idea of a small article for their
> website/monthly magazine about FLOSS and its possible applications to
> smallholders.  There are 1000+ memberships so mentioning dclug as a
> possible source of help could cause a few problems - though I doubt
> 10% will be interested.  What do people think? And do any of you have
> suggestions as to packages that might be helpful?

I would go for simple wins: packages that will definitely work, will be
cheaper and IMHO better eg

-   Openoffice (with the default save as *doc, *xls etc) instead of MS
    Office
-   Thunderbird instead of outlook express. Most friends like the
    improved rules handling, and spam blocking
-   PDF creator instead of Adobe

ie packages that are opensource, work well and are obviously cost
effective. (http://www.theopencd.org/ for more options) For those that
want to know more then point them at
-   Ubuntu / Knoppix and the live CDs
-   Linux distro choice

I still feel that "linux" is seen as difficult and geeky and so playing
that down is an advantage

--
Henry
Thu Dec  7 13:12:19 GMT 2006