Re: [LUG] Focus for 2007 - was Flash for PPC

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:54:41 +0000
> Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I must admit I do like OS X although my iMac G3 isn't up to running it
>>

> I can tell you why that happens! I used to run OSX but like Matt, I dumped it. I
> now run Debian on my iBook and it's fantastic.
>
> Mac OSX isn't an OS: it's a layer cake. OS9 lies underneath, there's a BSD/OSX
> layer on top of that then there's X. That's why on my 30Gb iBook, a *default* OSX
> install took over 13Gb!!!!!
>
> Debian? 6Gb.

Actually I didn't install OS 9, just OS X.  OS 9 is optional for Classic
application support and since I didn't have any Classic apps (or any
commerical OS X apps coming to think of it) I didn't need it.  The main
reason I didn't run OS X was because it only had 64MB memory and a
450MHz CPU.  Even Debian didn't run very fast on it.  Text mode was fine
(and a nice high resolution too) but running a GUI wasn't much cop.  As
an LTSP client it worked much better.  I even managed to get it to
network boot from my Debian server. :-)
>> at any decent sort of speed.  With the Mac range going over to x86 CPU's
>> eventually the PPC owners are going to have to either upgrade their Macs
>> to x86 Macs, stick with what they have or look at alternatives.
>>

> The alternative is Debian - Yellow Dog is, sadly, way behind the times.

Or Ubuntu, or SuSE, or Fedora Core.  I must admit, Debian and Ubuntu
went on much better than Yellow Dog.  YDL didn't have very good sound
support.
>> I keep reading/hearing that we're a community and we should be doing
>> what we can.  Some of us can't code but we sure can talk lots about our
>> favorite OS :-)
>>

> Then write some documentation . . . .

I do when I have time.  There seems to be a lot going on in the
Ubuntu-UK mailing list with regards making a training video showing new
users how to do different tasks.  Although I have very little free time
at the moment (I seem to be working a 50 hour week at the moment) I do
try and write a bit of documentation when I can.  Before Friday I have
to somehow setup a MythTV box, install Ubuntu on a PC for one of the
guys at work (actually I might leave that until Saturday) and I have to
play around to get my Mac to do something useful assuming it still works
after sitting in the garage for 8 months.

> Programmers write bad documentation (and I freely admit that some of that is mine)
> because other things get in the way
Ahh I know what you mean.  I've written small programs for work and I
find it a chore finding time to work on the programs, never mind
documentation.

If I get time I do tend to scribble notes down although I'm not the
tidiest person ever and the notes I write usually get lost under piles
of CDs and paperwork.

Rob