Re: [LUG] Flash Player 9 for PPC

I agree with this,  one of the reasons I actually quit from the toronto
lug was one endless thread about Microsoft getting some sort of security
contract,  and it was all MS this MS that,  with my comments asking
where were the people to provide the OSS solution or promote another
solution,   to which no one really gave an answer.

It seems 2007 may be a good year for us, lets start 2007 with a positive
attitude,  concentrate on what OSS / Free software can do,  other wise
it seems we are just a bunch of MS bashers,  and that has the opposite
effect,  we need to market what we have to offer.

We have the children in need event coming up,  lets see how that goes,
book a few lug meetings and discuss how public events should go,  as
people have said we need a balance between.,

presentations
general chat / disussion
troubleshooting hardware / software problems.

Its not what you tell people it's how you go about telling them,  that
will make the impression,    People want an alternative,  so we need to
tell them there are 2 alternatives to Microsoft these are

GNU / Linux
or
Apple

Incedently OSX looks really nice,  i was looking at a apple the other
day,  you can click on the mouse and up pops another display, that has
calculator, weather and loads of other stuff,  click somewhere else and
it just goes, so it's always there,  it's also transparent so does not
get in the way.   KDE desktop also looks very nice,  we just need to let
people see whats out there,  get them to say thats cool,  then explain
it's free.  in fact the whole distro can be installed at no cost.

Lets have a focus for 2007.  concentrate on promoting what OSS is really
like get people interested then teach about the philosphy be hind free
software.  any installed should be backed up by members who run computer
shops etc,  or generally for support.  We also need to find out more
about who were are targeting and what they are using their computers for.

paul

--
http://www.zleap.net