Re: [LUG] Focus for 2007 - was Flash for PPC

paul sutton wrote:
> I agree with this,  one of the reasons I actually quit from the toronto
> lug was one endless thread about Microsoft getting some sort of security
> contract,  and it was all MS this MS that,  with my comments asking
> where were the people to provide the OSS solution or promote another
> solution,   to which no one really gave an answer.
>
> It seems 2007 may be a good year for us, lets start 2007 with a positive
> attitude,  concentrate on what OSS / Free software can do,  other wise
> it seems we are just a bunch of MS bashers,  and that has the opposite
> effect,  we need to market what we have to offer.
>
> We have the children in need event coming up,  lets see how that goes,
> book a few lug meetings and discuss how public events should go,  as
> people have said we need a balance between.,
>
> presentations
> general chat / disussion
> troubleshooting hardware / software problems.

I'm hoping that if we could maybe have a meeting every fortnight then we
can make it more accessible for more members.  Maybe we could change the
topic each time so everyone gets something covered?
> Its not what you tell people it's how you go about telling them,  that
> will make the impression,    People want an alternative,  so we need to
> tell them there are 2 alternatives to Microsoft these are
>
> GNU / Linux
> or
> Apple

I've found that sitting down and spending a few minutes telling someone,
or even better showing them what is on offer (say an Ubuntu Live CD or
something along those lines) then they're more likely to be interested
than if I just go into technobabble mode.  I think the more I explain it
the easier it gets to explain.  My dad for instance was only interested
in Windows until I told him about the alternatives.  He is now
interested in dual booting XP & Kubuntu on his desktop PC.  I'm sure
it'll get to the point where he uses Kubuntu more than Windows.
> Incedently OSX looks really nice,  i was looking at a apple the other
> day,  you can click on the mouse and up pops another display, that has
> calculator, weather and loads of other stuff,  click somewhere else and
> it just goes, so it's always there,  it's also transparent so does not
> get in the way.
I must admit I do like OS X although my iMac G3 isn't up to running it
at any decent sort of speed.  With the Mac range going over to x86 CPU's
eventually the PPC owners are going to have to either upgrade their Macs
to x86 Macs, stick with what they have or look at alternatives.  It
would be great if we're there, Yellow Dog CDs in hand (or whatever other
PPC distro is available) and let them give it a try.  If its the
difference between replacing a good working machine with another £1000
computer then I'm sure they'd be interested in at least having a look.
>    KDE desktop also looks very nice,  we just need to let
> people see whats out there,  get them to say thats cool,  then explain
> it's free.  in fact the whole distro can be installed at no cost.

Although I prefer Gnome myself, I believe a few people I know who use
Windows at the moment would easily adjust to KDE without any major problems.
> Lets have a focus for 2007.  concentrate on promoting what OSS is really
> like get people interested then teach about the philosphy be hind free
> software.  any installed should be backed up by members who run computer
> shops etc,  or generally for support.  We also need to find out more
> about who were are targeting and what they are using their computers for.

I am going to approach a company in Crediton who provide Linux
solutions.  I spoke to one of their directors a month ago and he seemed
interested in promoting Linux.  I will also be speaking to other ex-work
colleagues (one of whom has his own business) and see if they use Linux
and if not try and get them to try it.

I keep reading/hearing that we're a community and we should be doing
what we can.  Some of us can't code but we sure can talk lots about our
favorite OS :-)

Looking forward to you getting back Paul, I'm sure you'll have some good
ideas from across the pond.

I wonder as well, as a LUG if we could get in touch with other LUGs in
the South West and see what they're doing?

Rob