Re: [LUG] Focus for 2007 - was Flash for PPC

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:54:41 +0000
Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I must admit I do like OS X although my iMac G3 isn't up to running it

I can tell you why that happens! I used to run OSX but like Matt, I dumped it. I now
run Debian on my iBook and it's fantastic.

Mac OSX isn't an OS: it's a layer cake. OS9 lies underneath, there's a BSD/OSX layer
on top of that then there's X. That's why on my 30Gb iBook, a *default* OSX install
took over 13Gb!!!!!

Debian? 6Gb.

> at any decent sort of speed.  With the Mac range going over to x86 CPU's
> eventually the PPC owners are going to have to either upgrade their Macs
> to x86 Macs, stick with what they have or look at alternatives.

The alternative is Debian - Yellow Dog is, sadly, way behind the times.

> I keep reading/hearing that we're a community and we should be doing
> what we can.  Some of us can't code but we sure can talk lots about our
> favorite OS :-)

Then write some documentation . . . .

Programmers write bad documentation (and I freely admit that some of that is mine)
because other things get in the way.