Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98]

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 05:41:50PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
>> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>>>>
>>> Please: I will take the greatest joy in scrubbing everything and creating a
>>> clean disk.
>> Ah, well, now that I've found it, I've remembered the problem. It's an
>> MS Windows 98SE Upgrade CD. What you'll need, before you wipe that disc,
>> is to create a Windows StartUp Disc. i.e. a floppy. Alternatively, an
>> MS-DOS system disc and floppies 1 to 5 for Windows 3.x.
>>
>> I'd forgotten how difficult Windows really is!!!
>>

> Yes. And the other pain is the OEM versions of windows that are non movable
> to another computer

I have 2 Win98SE original CDs with keys. I have never had any issues
with installing using the same key on several different machines.

If you like I will bring one to the BBQ on the 29th, where you or
someone else can burn a copy (I would like to keep the originals).

Is this literally just for banking?
If so, I suggest that in the interests of stability you don't bother
with ANY updates. Just make sure that the machine is not used for
general surfing and that you run a well-updated anti-virus on it and
keep it well behind a NAT firewall. Perhaps also tell your firewall to
block any traffic coming from that machine destined for any ports other
than HTTP and HTTPS.

Simon