Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98]

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 03:16:13PM +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:38:30PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> >
> >> Opportunity to introduce those using Win98 et al to Linux?
> >>
> >> 'Don't spend hundreds on a new PC sir/madam, get Linux instead'
> >>
> >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5164450.stm
> >>

> > Does not always work. I have win98 and it looks like I am going to be
> > forced to buy a Winxp machine to run access the company bank account over
> > Internet Explorer
> >
> > Anyone got one going cheap?
> >
> DON'T BUY WINXP!!! Just cos its not supported doesn't mean it'll stop
> working!
> I'd just make sure you back it up properly ( to your linux box)  then
> re-install if it gets compromised - and tell your bank to get its act
> together, or move to one that supports ffox or your favourite browser.
> Or alternatively set your browser to pretend its ie if you can - that
> often works.
> There are a few sites that do some support for win3.1 and 95 so maybe
> they'll do 98 too.
> Tom te tom te tom

Data all backed up, but I have lost the original set up disk for win 98,
and I am pretty sure I have a virus or something. (Currently running
symantec antivirus from the web and it does say I have something)

Have called the bank: apparently they do not support Mac, only Windows OS.
There is no reason why Linux cannot be made to work but:
-   FF used to work to access the site, but recently it no longer does.
-   I also however need to authorise transctions and that requires a smart
    card, and that has only ever worked with IE

Nothing to say it will not work with Linux but far beyond my skill at the
moment