Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98]

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:38:30PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
>
>> Opportunity to introduce those using Win98 et al to Linux?
>>
>> 'Don't spend hundreds on a new PC sir/madam, get Linux instead'

> Does not always work. I have win98 and it looks like I am going to be
> forced to buy a Winxp machine to run access the company bank account over
> Internet Explorer
>
> Anyone got one going cheap?
>

> --
> Henry
> Tue Jul 11 14:51:09 BST 2006

DON'T BUY WINXP!!! Just cos its not supported doesn't mean it'll stop
working!
I'd just make sure you back it up properly ( to your linux box)  then
re-install if it gets compromised - and tell your bank to get its act
together, or move to one that supports ffox or your favourite browser.
Or alternatively set your browser to pretend its ie if you can - that
often works.
There are a few sites that do some support for win3.1 and 95 so maybe
they'll do 98 too.
Tom te tom te tom