Re: [LUG] Open Ports, nmap

Henry Bremridge wrote:

> Silly question: how do I go about checking that all my ports are closed
> and my system appears invisible.

In this case you want to scan from outside the router, for most people
it is easiest to ask someone else to do it.

Me I just login to the boxes at work and scan home, and vice versa.

> Can I run nmap on my machine to check my machine?

Yes, but if you have access to a box, it is far easier and more reliable
to use "netstat" (as root ideally) to see what ports are in use. (e.g.
'netstat -anp | less').

-