Re: [LUG] Native linux image creation software

On 04/05/06, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/05/06, Ben Goodger <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Vector graphics:
> Inkscape, OOo:Draw, etc

Inkscape and Sodipodi are very nice vector graphics packages

Sodipodi has not made a release for 4 years, Inkscape is a fork of it and very superior.

> Bitmaps:
> Imagemagick, Gimpshop, GIMP etc

ImageMagick is scary voodoo, if you want to script images try perl's
Imager library which is very nice.

Gimp is the mutt's nuts for bitmap hackery.

With a horrid UI that repulses everyone used to software with a sane GUI such as Photoshop.

> I use Inkscape exclusively (much awaiting its implementation of
> <filter> or <effect> or whatever it is...); I despise GIMP for its
> hideous UI: try Gimpshop if your distro packages it.

I've been using Inkscape for print ad's and for decent looking web
graphics and it's really very good. I think the UI is a bit
restrictive - I could get things done as lot quicker if there was a
nicer context sensitive menu and quick way to zoom to arbitary levels,
but apart from that it gets the job done well.

Hold CTRL and scroll. Most of Inkscape's advanced functionality is achieved through keyboard shortcuts - try pressing , and . when selecting nodes, or ctrl-. or ctrl-, when selecting text.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382