Re: [LUG] Choice in desktop environments

Simon Williams wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>
>> 1. My compiled software is exclusively C, not C++ or anything else.
> Out of interest why is that?

Why not?

http://qof.sourceforge.net/why-qof.html#lambda

>> 3. Even my embedded code revolves around the Gnome Palmtop Environment,
>> not Opie (from KDE).
> I tried GPE on my Zaurus, but it was very inefficient and difficult to
> use. Opie was just so much more suited to a palmtop. GPE also seemed a
> bit slow to me.

Early days.

> What sort of embedded software are you into?

iPAQ.

http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/embedded.html

>> 4. I've found sufficient extensions and themes for FireFox and TBird to
>> get the functionality I need with none of the fluff.
> I agree, but GTK apps never look really good.

I would have thought it obvious that I don't care one jot about the
"look" of software. I look for functionality alone and fluff like
eye-candy puts me off. I'm happiest with vi. I principally write command
line software. I avoid creating new graphics for anything (Google is my
image "editor").
;-)

>> 5. Functionality is more important than eye-candy. Gnome is the natural
>> home for those of a similar disposition.

Please prefix all my content with such sentiments and you'll have a
better understanding of why I prefer Gnome. If you care about fluff, use
something else. If you just want to get things done, use Gnome.

A Desktop Environment is a tool - nothing more. I need a menu, usable
window furniture (i.e. close/minimise buttons) a clear icon set and very
little else. (Oh, maybe a clock.)

> I know KDE is somewhat inefficient eye-candy bloatware, but it just
> works better out of the box for me.

I find the opposite. KDE goes out of it's way to get *in* my way. Config
dialogues regularly expand beyond the limits of the screen because there
are simply too many options.

> I tried gnome, but gave up as soon
> as I found there was no simple way of making all the icons a sensible
> size- why are they so big? Why are they resized individually, out of
> scale and per pixel?

Don't put icons on the desktop, that's the best choice. Besides, you can
change the size in gnome-control-center although I haven't looked
recently. Not something I consider particularly important. (I never seem
to use desktop icons anyway.)

> I'm not really sure how we got here, or where it's going.
> Just my 2 cents.

Don't know, don't mind. If it gets even one person to think about
whether their current environment is actually right for them, I'll be happy.

--

Neil Williams