[LUG] Open Ports, nmap

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 04:49:38PM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
<snip>

> lol- thunderbird thinks your message might be an email scam. Probably
> the ip address.
>
> !!!!! NMAP -A -T4 -P0 FOR THAT IP SHOWS THAT 1 PORT IS OPEN TO THE
> INTERNET!!!!!!
>
> 23/tcp open  telnet  GlobespanVirata telnetd V1.6
> Device type: remote management
> Running: IBM embedded
> OS details: IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II
> Service Info: Device: broadbrand router
>
> I hope that's not yours.

Silly question: how do I go about checking that all my ports are closed
and my system appears invisible. (If I go to www.grc.com then my NAT
router makes the whole system appear invisible, but if I turn the router
off, then the ports appear closed but not invisible)

Can I run nmap on my machine to check my machine?

Tks