Re: [LUG] What IS an operating system ?

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 11:03, Matt Lee wrote:

The only confusion is the idea that GNU is *just* a set of tools - it's
not. It's a whole bunch of things, including tools that make up an
operating system.

This is all true and my earlier concentration on the "tools" aspect of
GNU may have been misleading to the uninitiated.... My apologies for
being economical with the truth, I should by now know better and taken
more time to list other aspects such as libraries and compiling /
debugging tools etc....

However one feels that one needs to point out that GNU doesn't have a
kernel of its own, unless you count HURD, however that is still what I
would call "experimental" ... Coming on nicely from what I hear :-). But
then micro kernels are tricky things to get right ( A certain Redmond
based company have been trying for some time now ;-) )

But if you don't mind I will stick to my humble opinion that "part" at
least of an operating system IS the kernel, so for the moment at least
GNU can't function without the BSD's, Linux's, Darwin's etc... of this
world, likewise linux certainly can't be functional and useful without
GNU.

As I have said before I prefer to use GNU/Linux as a term of reference
even though its a mouthful and I'm naturally lazy. However I won't be
getting my branding iron out if someone slips in the occasional
unqualified linux.

Tom.