Re: [LUG] Evolution Migration to Thunderbird

Julian Hall wrote:

I've installed fetchmail and it looks pretty simple to configure either by Webmin or fetchmail.conf off the menu.

What I'm not clear about is running the IMAP server. I assume that it can pick up mail for different accounts, or would fetchmail just dump everything from every mail account into one box? The reason I ask is I

It can do it however you want it to.

have 8 accounts I check: On my domain my main account, my linux only account, wine mail account, webmaster account, my Dad's mail, my Mum's mail; My NTLWorld account; My Virgin account. NB just set the last two up to forward to my main domain address. Provided the forwarding behaves I'll still have 6 boxes delivering to me. How will I be able to differentiate incoming mail? :)

If you can do it now then you will still be able to do it. If you can't do it now then it's possible that you will be able to do it with fetchmail.

Though there probably isn't must point in the forwarding. Especially
if you might want to distinguish between the NTLWorld and Virgin
accounts at some time in the future.

Can I tell fetchmail to deliver to say /home/jules/mail/dadsmail for him, /home/jules/mail/mumsmail etc etc?

Most of it is down to the MTA on the machine where you run fetchmail. This is the thing which actually puts the email into /var/spool/~user, ~user/mail, ~user/Maildir, etc.

I'm not expecting anyone to spoonfeed me, but if someone could point me in the direction of an easy to follow Man page I'd appreciate it :)