Re: [LUG] Evolution Migration to Thunderbird

Neil Williams wrote:

Alternative, useful for dial-up users, use fetchmail to collect the mail and then serve it using IMAP across the local intranet. That's what I do - my IMAP serves three machines and multiple clients on 2 platforms.

I work for two of the ISPs I use.. we don't support IMAP.

I've installed fetchmail and it looks pretty simple to configure either by Webmin or fetchmail.conf off the menu.

What I'm not clear about is running the IMAP server. I assume that it can pick up mail for different accounts, or would fetchmail just dump everything from every mail account into one box? The reason I ask is I have 8 accounts I check: On my domain my main account, my linux only account, wine mail account, webmaster account, my Dad's mail, my Mum's mail; My NTLWorld account; My Virgin account. NB just set the last two up to forward to my main domain address. Provided the forwarding behaves I'll still have 6 boxes delivering to me. How will I be able to differentiate incoming mail? :)

Can I tell fetchmail to deliver to say /home/jules/mail/dadsmail for him, /home/jules/mail/mumsmail etc etc?

I'm not expecting anyone to spoonfeed me, but if someone could point me in the direction of an easy to follow Man page I'd appreciate it :)

Kind regards,

Julian