[LUG] Evolution Migration to Thunderbird

Hi All,

After much aggravation I have managed to export my Address Book from Evolution 1.4 to Mozilla Thunderbird. However, Mozilla does not allow import of *mail* from anything but Netscape 4 Communicator, while Evolution's "export" facilities.... umm.. it doesn't have *any*....

The one suggestion I have seen online is to save each individual mail folder in mbx format, and then import them into Thunderbird. That doesn't work, seeing as the websites are quite helpful on the "select all messages, File->Save As->mbx format" side of things but don't actually get around to saying what earthly good those files are as Thunderbird won't look at them.

Any suggestions gratefully received! :)

BTW for anyone in a similar position who isn't worried about previous emails, this is how I exported my Address book.

1. Locate addressbook.db (~/evolution/local/Contacts on my system) - open in favourite Text editor - I used Kate
2. Strip all the lines with special characters.
3. Replace all spaces with "," - you'll end up with more than you want but it's easier than doing it by hand! ;)
4. Save as CSV format.
5. Open a CSV editor such as OO Calc and adjust any misaligned columns. At this point it's a good idea to check what items can/need to be transferred into Thunderbird and label the columns appropriately.
*THAT's the longwinded annoying bit*
6. Open Thunderbird, go to Tools -> Import -> Address Books: Make sure the file type is CSV and open the CSV file. The key here is that the first record it will see is actually your column headings, making it much easier to align the imported data with the right entries in Thunderbird.
7. Import the selected data and you're done.

Kind regards,

Julian