Re: [LUG] No decent WYSIWYG editor for Web; Use a content management system

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 23:32 +0100, Rick Timmis wrote:

> Thank you Neil for a more indepth and constructive criticism.
>
> In all the respects that you are talking about I agree, certainly coding
> a site with DW or FP is far far from acceptable from the point of view
> of coding standards.

It's also far from acceptable if you're at all concerned with your
customers' browsing habits rather than your own.

> I agree that the standard of crafting in the Super Tramp migration is
> high and this is not reflected in the code of the site. However the site
> does appear to function correctly on our (Mozilla 1.3) Browser platform.

So? How does it function in Opera? In IE5.0? In NS4? In Lynx?

> I realise that of course you require the Flash plugin, this is a minor
> point that will be addressed in due course.

It is *not* a minor point for those of us who don't have Flash
installed. The *major* point is to make your site accessible to any
potential customer who visits it.

> From a business point of view we have a large number of critical areas
> that require large amounts of resource.
>
> Primary objectives.
>
> Care and attention to our existing customer base:-

These five lines are Public-Relations waffle, as far as I can see.

<snip>

> Now here's the moan...
>
> Surely the general wish of the group is to promote the use of Linux and
> OS in many arena's and to grow the Open Source community by getting more
> users and developers.

No. My wish is to discuss Linux with other people who are committed to
using Linux. I'd also love to see a genuine newbie asking what "ls" or
"cd" means. since I'd know the answer, for once. Personally, I'd also
enjoy a flame war, as a Vim user, with an Emacs user, since we'd
probably generate plenty of useful tips for Vim and Emacs users. But all
this group has to offer *you*, given your questions, is some basic
advice about how to make your site standards-compliant.

> Whilst much of the criticism is valid and also
> welcome I find it hard to swallow that many have not grasped the larger
> concept.
> Perhaps if those who are so passionate and energetic in there pursuit of
> demonstrating where our site is failing, where to devote some of that
> passion and energy to helping us to improve it. Then surely this would
> benefit everyone.

Frankly, you're whining. You've had *heaps* of advice. It seems to me
that it just wasn't the kind of advice you wanted to hear.

> No doubt this comment will be viewed with contempt and mistrust and I
> will be shot down as attempting to recruit free labour, and of spouting
> Sales BS.

Yes. No doubt.

> The site will have to stay as is until the recoding is done. This will
> take some time. We are stepping out into a competitive market place
> where the odds are already stacked against us.

Have you ever considered a career as a spin-doctor? You know all the
right phrases.

> It would be great to see
> the LUG offering us support and encouragement.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Rick
>
> Neil Williams wrote:

I've only just realised that you top-posted too.

Well...

I aim to be polite on the dclug list, but you got my goat. Two and a
half years on Usenet have given me a nose for trolls, and something
about you smells of troll. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

--
PJR :-)