Re: [LUG] No decent WYSIWYG editor for Web; Use a content managementsystem

Rick Timmis wrote:

> We are in the business of helping organisations deploy Linux / OSS
> instead of said MS / Prop Products.

Okay 4 main objections to Linux I expect you'll get are;

I'm afraid of something new
	No honest new is cool like mobile phones with cameras in.

It doesn't run MS Office
	Open Office is as good at reading them as the previous version of Word
(Tomorrow your version of word will be the previous version).

It doesn't run one vital piece of our existing software
	Almost invariably this isn't the only piece of software that does that
job in the entire world.

Lots of websites don't run well outside of IE/Windows.
	Um, err, Konqueror* can talk to you ("cool sells" -- Bill Gates).

Well done for contributing to item four, Bill will be sending the cheque
in the post.

> Surely the general wish of the group is to promote the use of Linux and
> OS in many arena's and to grow the Open Source community by getting more
> users and developers. Whilst much of the criticism is valid and also
> welcome I find it hard to swallow...

Come on promoting Linux with a website you didn't even write on Linux
software, even Microsoft eats it's own dog food.

Stop moaning, you posted the URL to the group, promoting your own
activities, and a large proportion of the members can't even read it,
you should expect a little feedback.

I'd stick at "we are fixing it", and stop digging.

My website gets very little attention from me, because it isn't a good
source of business, I've found. People seem to buy washing machines by
searching for the cheapest of a specific brand, but they buy expertise
by word of mouth (which you'll get less of if the Linux crowd can't read
your website), I've had more business from answering Usenet questions
than the website, and that isn't much.

Most of the interest and activity around my website (from new contacts)
came from the fact it explained how to packet filter Oracle SQL*Net on
Windows NT, the Oracle information also pulled in a number of mailing
list subscribers but I don't think any are likely to be good sources of
business as they are mostly in technical rather than management
positions (although on the Microsoft marketing dictate "eat like a
mouse, shit like an elephant", I still market myself to them)

Mostly I've proved with my website that if you supply accurate, detailed
technical information on a area with too little (decent Oracle info
outside Metalink** (aka Oracle support) is remarkably scarce), you can
build up a mailing list of interested techies, perhaps I should go for a
Think Geek franchise.

	Simon

* Konqueror can also validate your mark-up.

** Metalink sucks, although it is the only comprehensive source of
Oracle bugs, work arounds etc, the searching utilities are painful to
use, and almost invariably produce answers repeated N times, or N*M
times, where N is the number of ports, and M is the number of versions
for which a patch has been released.