Re: [LUG] Debian install

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 22:28 +0100, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

> The drivers *didn't* actually come with the card, even though the README
> claims that it's "linux compatible".  However, the manufacturer kindly
> provides all of the drivers on a web site.  Shame then that it's a
> (windows-only) self extracting executable, really!

I feel your pain (as they say), having tried unsuccessfully to get a
perfectly ordinary ALS4000 sound card to work with Debian Woody and
Sarge. I can get the winmodem to work better than it ever did with
Windoze, and I can do amazing things with God's Own Text Editor (Vim),
and, generally, if Debian were a youngish woman with nice ...s, I'd want
to marry her. But that damned sound card has got me beat.

> Anyway, the upshot of this is that I have added a new section in
> /etc/pcmcia/config corresponding to the hex ID values in the log.  However,
> despite having restarted the computer (how *do* you restart stuff in Debian?
> there's no init.d!) it still spits out the same hex values in the log.

I honestly don't know how you restart things in Debian. It's so
amazingly stable that I've never had to restart anything, though I've
seen "apt-get upgrade" restart things automatically now and then. But
there *is* a man page for restarting services, which you can probably
find for yourself.

> Surely if it was taking any notice of me whatsoever, it would at least spit
> out the name of the card as I specified?  What am I doing wrong?

Is there an interrupt conflict?

What are your BIOS settings? E.g., have you got "Plug-and-play OS"
turned on? My (admittedly limited) experience of Linux suggests that the
BIOS settings can make or break an installation, and that turning most
BIOS options off is a good idea.

--
PJR :-)
vim + mutt + slrn + fluxbox + xmahjongg = heaven