Re: [LUG] No decent WYSIWYG editor for Web; Use a content managementsystem

Thank you Neil for a more indepth and constructive criticism.

In all the respects that you are talking about I agree, certainly coding a site with DW or FP is far far from acceptable from the point of view of coding standards.
I agree that the standard of crafting in the Super Tramp migration is high and this is not reflected in the code of the site. However the site does appear to function correctly on our (Mozilla 1.3) Browser platform. I realise that of course you require the Flash plugin, this is a minor point that will be addressed in due course.

From a business point of view we have a large number of critical areas that require large amounts of resource.

Primary objectives.

Care and attention to our existing customer base:-

This is critical to our objective of increasing confidence in Linux and Open Source within the business community. Whilst Super Tramp have deployed Linux all the way to the desktop and throughout the whole infrastructure of our business, we remain in an extremely small minority.

Development of new clients:-

This is far more difficult than going into Joe business man armed with your suite of well known Microsoft and Proprietory Products and promising to do a better job than the last support team that brought the IT system to its knees, and relieved their business of vast sums of cash.

We are in the business of helping organisations deploy Linux / OSS instead of said MS / Prop Products. It is therefore perfectly reasonable to assume that potential traffic to our site will be from prospective new clients, viewing with either IE or Netscape. On these platforms the site works extremely well. The site is designed to provide clear information about the possibilties for Open Source and Linux within their organisation and to help generate opportunities for further discussion to take place.

I have listened to the comments posted and have started work on recoding the site with a view to improve standards compliance.

Now here's the moan...

Surely the general wish of the group is to promote the use of Linux and OS in many arena's and to grow the Open Source community by getting more users and developers. Whilst much of the criticism is valid and also welcome I find it hard to swallow that many have not grasped the larger concept.
Perhaps if those who are so passionate and energetic in there pursuit of demonstrating where our site is failing, where to devote some of that passion and energy to helping us to improve it. Then surely this would benefit everyone.
No doubt this comment will be viewed with contempt and mistrust and I will be shot down as attempting to recruit free labour, and of spouting Sales BS.

The site will have to stay as is until the recoding is done. This will take some time. We are stepping out into a competitive market place where the odds are already stacked against us. It would be great to see the LUG offering us support and encouragement.

Best wishes

Rick