[LUG]Re: How to stop ubuntu trying to install chromium

On 07/03/2023 13:56, Tom via list wrote:

On 06/03/2023 15:37, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 12:44:22 +0000
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

I've got the latest LTS. Its ubuntu thats pushing the snaps.
{snipped}

Well, that's just plain silly, IMO.  As you go on to say, it's wasteful
of space, and involves multiple groups having to fix the same bug(s)
over and over, etc, etc.

If you do decide to move away from Ubuntu, but wish to maintain a
familiar environment, moving to Debian may suit you.  It is, of course,
what Ubuntu is based on.  All the tools are the same;  apt*, synaptic....

If you want a more up to date suite then you may prefer Debian testing.
It's what I use.  I do, however, compile one package from source
(Claws-Mail) although it's not really necessary any more, since the main
development (of Claws) switched to GTK3.

It gets worse! I had an install of imagemagick and they've 'upgraded' that to a SNAP - but removed most of the install before I found out and for some reason the snap didnt automatically install so I had to intervene.

I think I'm going Devuan next - now I'm looking in the log files SystemD seems to be fighting with itself!!!

For similar reasons - as well as an antipathy towards systemd - I swapped to MX Linux a year or two ago. It runs well on all my hardware (some of which is getting a bit long in the tooth), and offers some really nice features such as being able to export your entire running installation to a flash drive for booting or installing elsewhere. It supports BTRFS for instant Timeshift snapshots, which is brilliant for those of us who will keep trying out dodgy stuff before realizing the error of our ways. YMMV of course, but I haven't looked back.

Best,

G.