[LUG]Re: How to stop ubuntu trying to install chromium

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 15:48:51 +0000
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

Log files tell you *what* was done.  Rarely do log files tell you *why*
those things were done.

However, doing a little digging here;

$ aptitude why chromium
i   libreoffice-help-en-gb Recommends firefox-esr | epiphany-browser |
konqueror | chromium | firefox

Which tells us that not just *any* browser (e.g. recommends
x-www-browser) will do, but has to be one of those listed.  Since (it
seems) none of those listed are installed on your system one (the first
alphabetically maybe, IDK the criteria) gets installed.

Chromium doesn't get installed here because konqueror is installed as
part of a standard KDE install and I have firefox-esr installed also.
Either/both of which satisfy the libreoffice-help recommends.  Which all
fits in with your mention of LO in a previous post.

Your options are;
to file a bug against libreoffice-help-en-gb asking them to change the
'recommends'
 or
don't install recommended packages.
NOTE; the latter may have negative side effects down the line - not just
for LO, but for all packages.

--
 Regards  _       "Valid sig separator is {dash}{dash}{space}"
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"