Re: [LUG] Apt upgrading zoneminder. or not in this case

On Wed, 8 Jun 2022 22:49:02 +0800
stinga <stinga+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello stinga,

>> No idea which is most likely - you'll have to wait and see.  Sorry.
>Very reassuring! :-)

I know.  Sorry.   :-(

>My plan is to remove the dmo repo, remove all the dmo packages, do a
>dist upgrade and fix what fails.

Although not officially supported, it is possible to downgrade packages.
Changing DMO packages to their regular Debian counterparts is
downgrading (in the strictest sense of the term).  The point being you
may not have to remove all the DMO packages, perform a dist-upgrade and
then install the Debian version of the DMO packages you removed.

Such downgrading is far easier if you use the Synaptic package manager.
Don't worry, it will synchronise with your apt package database -
Synaptic is really just a front-end to apt, anyway.

In the end, you may have to re-install some of those DMO packages;
After all, they exist because certain things are 'missing' from the
Debian packages as those things don't comply with the Debian Free
Software Guidelines (DFSG) and cannot, therefore, be included in the
Debian repos.

--
 Regards  _
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"