Re: [LUG] Apt upgrading zoneminder. or not in this case

On 08/06/2022 20:51, stinga wrote:
On 08/06/2022 20:41, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2022 18:07:30 +0800
stinga <stinga+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello stinga,

I am trying to apt upgrade zoneminder, but it wont upgrade....
I'm not averse to using repos other than Debian's own (I do it myself),
however, having DMO & zoneminder's own repo is likely to cause a fair
amount of issue:  In this case, because the epoch number in the DMO
supersedes the zoneminder version number (2:1.32.nn in DMO versus
1.36.nn in zoneminder)[1]

I think disabling the DMO repo (at least temporarily) may help.
After re-enabling it, you'll have to pin the zoneminder version.  Note
though, that you may already have dependency issues as a result of your
repo settings.

[1] Unless I've misread things - always a possibility.
G'day Brad,

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I believe you are correct, I have just found...

root@legato:~# apt-cache policy zoneminder
zoneminder:
  Installed: 2:1.30.4-dmo1+deb9u2
  Candidate: 2:1.30.4-dmo1+deb9u2
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.30.4-dmo1+deb9u2 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.36.7-stretch 500
        500 https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com/debian/release-1.36 stretch/ Packages
     1.36.5-stretch 500
        500 https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com/debian/release-1.36 stretch/ Packages

If the version number are just string compares then

1.36.7-stretch is < 2:1.30.4-dmo1+deb9u2

So this brings up another question.
There are packages from the DMO repo but DMO is not mentioned in the apt config.
Does this mean the repo was removed from this machine or something else.

I can see in https://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main/z/zoneminder-dmo/zoneminder-dmo that there is
zoneminder_1.36.5-dmo1_i386.deb
Which is better than the current version.
So if I was to add the repo back into apt config it might pick up the new version.
(I have done some further reading and I don;t think this is the best idea, in fact using dmo is not a good idea full stop <sigh>)

It looks like I am going to have to remove all the dmo packages before I can upgrade. (I found a page that said
The instructions at https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_10_B ... e_Easy_Way
suggest that the repository ' deb-multimedia.org ' should be used in the installation of all the required packages needed to actually run Zoneminder.

I would suggest that using this repository is actually a bad idea.
The problems start occurring after installation when you want to update your system.
To a less than expert eye it looks like deb-multimedia.org is a great idea but in practice it results in some serious fun.
)

One more question.
Since I don't currently have dmo as a repo what happens when I do a dist upgrade?
What happens to the dmo packages...

My current upgrade plan thinking is:
note what is running
remove dmo packages
dist upgrade
See what is not running and fix

Currently it is running of importance
mariadb
darkice
jack
redis
zoneminder
openob
proxysql
some other audio stuff related to jack. Silence detection and ROT (Record of Transmission)
It is for a community radio station

Thanks everyone!
--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\