[LUG] Syncthing to sync files on two computers?

Hello all...

Another question, or rather opening another discussion!

I have just bought a second Laptop for my wife to use for work she is now doing online. She is quite tech disinterested, and hates when I change anything, move anything etc. My thought was to somehow make both machines look/act the same (as far as possible) and one idea was to sync them using syncthing. Now this is fine if both machines are on, but there are problems it seems if one is not. I have a usb drive plugged into the router and have successfully mapped it so it mounts. However unless files are saved to this device, they will not appear on both machines. The ideal would be for both machines to sync to the usb drive and not to each other. Being off grid I do not want to run a NAS/server... Thoughts on how this might work would be great. I assume you cannot just 'share' a home folder?!!

Rsync? Cron? Syncthing? Something else?

Thank you

Anthony