Re: [LUG] [External] Syncthing to sync files on two computers?

I use Syncthing - it's great to sync things... presuming everything stays in sync 😊

I see the other responses are looking for more info too, but to answer your sync
questions:

Syncthing has an option to monitor the filesystem for changes - uses this.
Otherwise, it's a periodic scan, and I'm presuming your wife is in the camp of
"click save and close laptop lid"... no time for syncthing to do it's work.

If you leave a document open on 1 laptop, then edit on the other, you'll have a
sync-conflict file... not the end of the world (I'm glad they get created!) but it's
then a chore to work out which file is the latest... or worse... combination of
files!

The benefit of syncthing over just sharing the home folder, is that you can decide
what folders / files are (/not) sync'd... if you shared your entire home folder then
(i.e.) web browser cache is also being transferred too...

One other benefit of syncthing is if you use the Versioning feature. Then, if
something gets deleted / corrupted, then you'll potentially have a "backup" (sync is
not backup...) file somewhere. Versioning will need careful tuning, before you know
it, you'll have 5x disk space used up. You'll probably also have different versions
on each laptop and none on the USB drive.