[LUG] Dual-booting Linux: Was: Re: [External] OT: Hardware upgrade time - run VMs at home

On 25/02/2021 17:35, David Bell wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:41:21 +0000
Julian Hall<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

That makes three of us needing new hardware  ....
Now four.

The mobo, memory and Ryzen were bought as a bundle from Scan.UK.

Rats.. I   forgot them..

I'm curious now though.. you mentioned dual booting and I am having hell's own job of getting the system back up as it was, despite having backups of everything, rsynced diligently.

The setup I have is as follows:

Samsung 850 Evo SSD 250Gb: / mounted ; grub

Western Digital Blue 1Tb HD: /home mounted ; Windows 7*

I have three network shares: DEMETER, HESTIA, and PERSEPHONE, all shared by NFS. For each share a .mount file points at it and waits until the network is up. Then 3 .automount files mount the shares which are  accessed i n a way which may sound clunky but works very nicely - well it /did/. A  link to each mount point placed on the desktop; when clicked lists the contents of the NFS share. Simples. When it works.

Linux Mint 19.3 is my main OS with the above shares, and Motioneye installed so I can check the front door camera.

The problem.

New mobo etc installed; boot with Live CD go to backup to reinstall, system says 'get stuffed, go straight to Permissions Hell', resolved with laptop googling like mad, chmodded folder to current root and successfully installed backup. Grub then killed itself, enter grub rescue mode.'Nuts to this..' Grub Rescue CD. Nada boots, more expletives. Install bare 19.3 having resigned myself to installing from scratch. I do still  have the backups intact though so if anyone can talk me  through a successful recovery I would be very grateful!

Currently I am having to fight the system yet again to get Motioneye installed and it was a pig the first time. I have not accessed my NAS in days as the old way now does not want to work and autofs is apparently the right way, but that won't work either.

Ref autofs; the autofs service is running. I'm trying different formats at present to see which is right but 192.168.1.3 /is/ Zeus so both should work. If someone could tell me the right format I'll use it! Just to make life more difficult it's a Synology NAS, and some applications like 'volume1' as part of the path and others just want the mount name e.g. DEMETER.

*/etc/auto.master*

#
+auto.master

/media/julian/DEMETER   /etc/auto.nfsdbd --timeout=180
/media/julian/HESTIA   /etc/auto.nfsdbh --timeout=180
/media/julian/PERSEPHONE   /etc/auto.nfsdbp --timeout=180

*/etc/auto.nfsdbd*

/media/julian/DEMETER   -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr Zeus:/volume1/DEMETER

*/etc/**auto.nfsdbh*

/media/julian/HESTIA   -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr 192.168.1.3:/HESTIA

*/etc/auto.nfsdbp*

/media/julian/PERSEPHONE   -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr Zeus:/PERSEPHONE

This as a result of googling. One tutorial said auto.misc needed amending, one does not; which is it?

Help please!

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley