Re: [LUG] Continual network problems on Fedora 31

On 02/02/2021 17:50, Sebastian wrote:
Dear Simon,

It seems as though 192.168.1.107 is for the Ethernet, and
192.168.1.99 is for the wireless interface. The 192.168.1.71
(Ethernet) address is listed with a prefix length of 32 instead of
the usual 24; maybe this is the difference? As for the wireless
interface, I can only see one IP address so maybe there were only
three in total.
If you have one host with two interfaces, both UP, on (different?)
192.168.1.0/24 networks this has to be a recipe for trouble.
Not quite, it's one host with two interfaces, on the same 192.168.1.0/24
network, one interface with an extra address on a 192.168.1.0/32 network
which doesn't seem to exist anywhere else. And that extra address has
itself listed as its broadcast address.

I think we've reached the point of "stop doing that", or supply a
network diagram and explanation for why you think this should work at
all.
In all seriousness, stop doing what? As far as I'm aware, it should be
possible to have two interfaces to a host (at least on the same
192.168.1.0/24 network, which they are). The existence of that extra
address stumps me though.

I've attached a quickly drawn diagram of the entire network in this
house; there are, very occasionally, additional Wi-Fi devices connected
but these don't seem to be related to the issue. All the Powerline <->
Ethernet adapters are of the same model.

As always, thank you for your help; best wishes,

Sebastian

--
- Freenode: 'seabass'
- Matrix: '@seabass:chat.weho.st'

Oh hell... you're throwing Powerline Ethernet into the mix ... ouch.

Check you're on the same PHYSICAL ELECTRICAL circuit, to the other devices on the "network" as it rarely works across these (circuit breakers, etc don't work well with electronics)....