Re: [LUG] Continual network problems on Fedora 31

On 02/02/2021 17:55, Giles Coochey wrote:

I wouldn't trust a Windows host with two connections on the same subnet (Wifi and Ethernet) to operate correctly.

To elaborate on this, Windows uses some weird tech to detect and prefer the "link" that provides Internet access, it is not enough to simply be connected to the network, it detects whether the network is providing Internet access. Also (and I believe Android does this as well) whether it is on a metered connection. When this goes wrong, everything goes wrong, and Windows goes searching for something that does provide Internet access. It is no longer just a network connection, but a bunch (I think there are RFC's lodged for this) of background tech that tries to detect Internet access, and this really can throw a snapper spanner in the works for those of us who are quite happy to operate a network when Internet access is not so good or not existent.