Re: [LUG] Continual network problems on Fedora 31

Dear Simon,

> > It seems as though 192.168.1.107 is for the Ethernet, and
> > 192.168.1.99 is for the wireless interface. The 192.168.1.71
> > (Ethernet) address is listed with a prefix length of 32 instead of
> > the usual 24; maybe this is the difference? As for the wireless
> > interface, I can only see one IP address so maybe there were only
> > three in total.
>
> If you have one host with two interfaces, both UP, on (different?)
> 192.168.1.0/24 networks this has to be a recipe for trouble.

Not quite, it's one host with two interfaces, on the same 192.168.1.0/24
network, one interface with an extra address on a 192.168.1.0/32 network
which doesn't seem to exist anywhere else. And that extra address has
itself listed as its broadcast address.

> I think we've reached the point of "stop doing that", or supply a
> network diagram and explanation for why you think this should work at
> all.

In all seriousness, stop doing what? As far as I'm aware, it should be
possible to have two interfaces to a host (at least on the same
192.168.1.0/24 network, which they are). The existence of that extra
address stumps me though.

I've attached a quickly drawn diagram of the entire network in this
house; there are, very occasionally, additional Wi-Fi devices connected
but these don't seem to be related to the issue. All the Powerline <->
Ethernet adapters are of the same model.

As always, thank you for your help; best wishes,

Sebastian

--
- Freenode: 'seabass'
- Matrix: '@seabass:chat.weho.st'