Re: [LUG] Continual network problems on Fedora 31

Dear Peter,

> If there is another machine on the network with a static IP set the
> same as yours that would not show. However if it is up you could try
> pinging it using the other interface (ie. switch off wireless then
> ping the wireless IP over the wired connection) nothing should answer.

The ping shows a "Destination Host Unreachable" error when done from
both interfaces to the other (disconnected) interface, which does seem
to indicate that there isn't another PC trying to use my IP addresses.

> As I said I think this is unlikely as the problem would be unlikely to
> disappear so quickly if this was the case.

Certainly - the PCs on this network are generally connected early in the
day and left on until the evening, so there's very little likelihood of
random collisions, that is unless the Windows machines are reconnecting
more frequently by themselves.

> I was confused by your ip addr output as you have 2 IPv4 addresses for
> the ethernet. Not in itself an issue but not sure where the second
> came from. I assume the 192.168.1.107 is the address you are using?

It seems as though 192.168.1.107 is for the Ethernet, and 192.168.1.99
is for the wireless interface. The 192.168.1.71 (Ethernet) address is
listed with a prefix length of 32 instead of the usual 24; maybe this is
the difference? As for the wireless interface, I can only see one IP
address so maybe there were only three in total.

Thanks for your continuing help :)

Best wishes,

Sebastian

--