Re: [LUG] Grub Problem

> https://eclypsium.com/2020/07/29/theres-a-hole-in-the-boot/
>
> Secure boot certificate revocation basically. The initial Grub issue being
> patched was a security vulnerability after all that effectively compromised
> secure boot so this wasn't just a minor update to the package.
>
> And then the package also failed to upgrade itself on disk remember, leaving
> effectively two problems.
>
> Neil has a real talent for accidentally getting into trouble :]

I have read the article you linked to - somehow I am sceptical of the
terms 'Secure Boot' and 'Microsoft CA' being used together... It is not
the more diverse set of authorities that the Web has benefited from.

>> To close this vulnerability, you need to deploy the revocation
>> update. Make sure that all bootable media has received OS updates
>> first, roll it out slowly to only a small number of devices at a
>> time, and incorporate lessons learned from testing as part of this
>> process.

Clearly, MX Linux revoked the certificate without checking that GRUB had
been updated. Now I know why I was confused - I have never used a PC
with UEFI/Secure Boot and the idea that certificates could be revoked
universally within UEFI, affecting even 'remote' media like Live USB
discs, is completely alien to me! Thus, thanks to you and Neil I am just
a little bit better prepared for when I will be using a UEFI PC.

>> With the sole exception of one bootable tool vendor who added custom
>> code to perform a signature verification of the grub.cfg config file
>> in addition to the signature verification performed on the GRUB2
>> executable, all versions of GRUB2 that load commands from an external
>> grub.cfg configuration file are vulnerable.

I would have liked to have known which vendor that was. The article is
quick to 'name and shame' the vulnerable vendors but the person(s) with
that foresight to check the config file deserves to be credited. Those
who patch problems after they have occurred are held up as heroes; those
who patch problems proactively are conversely underappreciated.

I'm glad to hear that Neil is now back to full operational capability
and can light the green light for his wife's computer!

Best wishes, Sebastian
Freenode: 'seabass'

PS. I do love Vim! In pasting the article into this email with the
prefix '>>', Vim automatically colours the quote. Then, by typing 'gqip'
to format the file into consistent line lengths it puts the extra '>'s
just where they need to be for me. I'm not going back to webmail! :)