Re: [LUG] Grub Problem

On 15/08/2020 18:01, comrade meowski wrote:
On 15/08/2020 17:50, Neil wrote:

Not very good with all this stuff am I?

This is a really crappy bug to be fair, most non-experts are going to have serious trouble sorting this out. Non-booting PC is about as unforgivable a distro error as possible, short of deleting your data :[

I did tell you specifically that you'd need a new ISO with the fixed Grub bootloader, don't know why you're so surprised lol.

Don't worry if the first attempt doesn't work, you have lots of options in the MX live tool to try next.

Go with 1: Reinstall

It'll ask you a couple more questions but you want to (re-)install to the MBR (not ESP or PBR). If it asks for a specific disk or partition it'll be of the form sda not sda1 or sda2. Grub will probably show you the potential targets for it's reinstall so choose the internal SSD which is most likely sda for you. It should reinstall, say ok, and then you can reboot.

If it still doesn't boot interrupt the next restart with your BIOS boot menu hotkey and look at the options. It may be offering them out of order and you may need to specifically select a "Legacy" option.

Report back.

I am reporting back, with a successful outcome. So, many thanks for your time, help and expertise. (I am not pretending that I understand all that went on, mind). There was no need to mess with the BIOS.

MX is the first distro I have come across with this boot repair facility. Perhaps there are others, which I have not noticed. Anyway, it has turned out to be very useful in this case. Now I will have a look at ventoy.net.

Live and learn,

Thanks again,

Neil