Re: [LUG] Grub Problem

On 15/08/2020 06:23, comrade meowski wrote:
On 14/08/2020 18:42, Neil wrote:
Welcome to GRUB

error: symbol 'grub_calloc' not found

grub rescue.

Uh oh, bootloader is hosed.

This is actually a really wide spread bug with Grub on multiple distributions at the moment. You're on MX so luckily there's a thread on it here complete with the fix:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=59532

It's pretty ugly and requires a live media boot and rescue I'm afraid. Ask if you run into problems.

Thanks, I will have a look. What puzzles me a bit is the my desktop computer, which I am using now, is working fine. Yet both computers are up to date.

Anyway, it may not be so simple. The method suggested is via using a USB stick with the MX Linux iso on it. I did try that, but the laptop will not boot from the stick. I finish up with the same error message. If it worked I would have tried the boot fix file in MX Tools.

Neil