Re: [LUG] Grub Problem

On 15/08/2020 07:43, Neil wrote:

Thanks, I will have a look. What puzzles me a bit is the my desktop computer, which I am using now, is working fine. Yet both computers are up to date.

Anyway, it  may not be so simple. The method suggested is via using a USB stick with the MX Linux iso on it. I did try that, but the  laptop will not boot from the stick. I finish up with the same error message. If it worked I would have tried the boot fix file in MX Tools.

How old is the MX Linux iso you're trying to boot? The Grub issue was a properly messy one involving revoked certificates and a bodged fix so it's entirely possible for the effected machine you'll need a brand new download of the current live/installer image on their website. Try that first.

If that doesn't work either then try another distro's live boot instead to see if that boots.

To save writing multiple one-shot images to individual USB drives do yourself a favour and set up Ventoy first on a relatively large thumbdrive or even a spare USB hard drive if you have one. Once the drive is setup you can just dump multiple install images in a directory and then choose which one to boot at start up.

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

Don't worry if your laptop still won't boot properly, it might need a firmware reset as well/instead.

Funnily enough the bug seems to only (?) hit BIOS systems and not UEFI ones. Might be worth accessing the laptop's firmware just to confirm what the settings are.

When you last did an upgrade do you remember seeing an interactive prompt popping up and asking you mid-install about reinstalling the bootloader and asking you to confirm which disk by the way? If you use a GUI to do your software upgrades it may not have shown as it does in a terminal.