Re: [LUG] Grub Problem

On 15/08/2020 16:44, comrade meowski wrote:

Anyway, it  may not be so simple. The method suggested is via using a USB stick with the MX Linux iso on it. I did try that, but the  laptop will not boot from the stick. I finish up with the same error message. If it worked I would have tried the boot fix file in MX Tools.

How old is the MX Linux iso you're trying to boot? The Grub issue was a properly messy one involving revoked certificates and a bodged fix so it's entirely possible for the effected machine you'll need a brand new download of the current live/installer image on their website. Try that first.

OK. So I have created a USB with the latest version of MX 19.2 on it. And, lo and behold, it does work. So now I can start MX from the USB stick. Then I started the boot repair program. It gives me four choices.

1 Reinstall GRUB bootloader on ESP, MBR, or PRR (root)

2 Repair GRUB configuration file

3 Backup MBR or PBR (legacy boot only)

4 Restore MBR or PBR from backup (legacy boot only)

I do not understand all that. I do seem to remember, during original installation, that BOOT was put on an MBR, but I think that was by simply accepting the default.

And this is working on the boot set up on this new USB, surely. How can it affect the set up on my hard disk?

Not very good with all this stuff am I?

Neil