Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 02/04/2020 20:11, comrade meowski wrote:

<snipped my long-winded query>

Compiles and installs clean for me although I don't have one of those particular devices to actually test it with. Clean up any mess you might have made to this point and do:
I have no idea what was different but following your instructions, as is usually the case, worked perfectly!
You'll need (at least) the build-essential, dkms and linux-headers packages for your running kernel which you probably already have. However Mint 19.3 ships with kernel 5.0 so upgrade to that first, god knows why you're still using 4.15.

Does it? That's news to me.. I installed clean from the ISO I downloaded from Mint's own website. Weirdly their Update Manager claims 4.18.* and 5.* are not supported as long as 4.15.* which is the only reason I have not installed a 5.* kernel yet. And yes oops, I read this biit /after/ following your instructions.. d'oh!

It detects now in lsusb, which it wasn't before, However when I try to add a Wireless Network connection I don't know its MAC address etc. How do I actually use it now? Daft question I know!

Kind regards,

Julian