Re: [LUG] Thunderbird

On 14/11/2019 15:57, mr meowski wrote:

Oh same here - happens mostly on my main (linux) workstation and mostly
on this email account. It's usually after a reboot and checking the
folder for this mailing list actually, which is a big ol' folder.
Thunderbird will sit and think for a bit, I'll realise all of the other
folders for the same account are empty and that's the end of that
basically. I just nuke the account from Thunderbird and recreate, let it
sync again and all is well. Happens maybe once every year or two
perhaps, at most?

I look after a lot of Thunderbirds for a lot of people and it doesn't
ever effect the majority of them - I _think_ it hits people with
multiple email accounts and lots of extra configuration, mailing list
subscriptions, rules and antispam, etc more than regular users which
kind of makes sense. I don't know if I've ever seen this issue on a
typical end user machine running Windows with just one or two gmail work
accounts plugged come to think of it.

Good old Thunderbird has never really let me down though so I'm more
than happy to put up with the occasional glitch. Compared to the horrors
of Outlook especially :|

Neil your original problem is quite possibly the troublesome system not
authenticating with the server properly - check deep in the Thunderbird
settings, you probably know where to look by now. Everything is
complicated these days so you might have an OAuth token not negotiated
properly for example.

What I don't understand is that the same set up on my laptop computer is just fine. Being IMAP it should be identical. Both machines are up to date.

Will it eventually put itself right, given time, or do I really need to sort it out somehow? How about I remove some of my old emails, which I do occasionally? Or do I really need to do more?

Neil