[LUG] Windows rant was Re: Daughter's computer

On Sunday, 10 November 2019 18:09:18 GMT mr meowski wrote:

> Personally I like it when the £150 professional version of that
> outstanding operating system asks you during initial setup whether you
> would like to see more adverts or just the same amount of adverts - but
> untargeted - in your operating system. I appreciate that there isn't a
> confusing "I don't want any adverts in my expensive professional
> operating system" option.

Should have got the Enterprise version, and then you can reconfigure the
default browser's default page not to show you adverts when you open a tab,
but you might need a few minutes to find the settings, and change the search
engine their too.

Yes, I've taken a job with a Windows 10 laptop supplied. Steadily learning
more about managing Windows (depressingly one of the reasons I took the job),
although mostly get to see how others do it, and check they are doing what is
recommended.

This week I learnt Enterprise users get another 12 months support on Windows
10 releases, so that Windows 10 1803 (yes it is March 2018) is out of support
for plebs (Home and Pro - so your £150 quid doesn't get you access to all the
patches they are going to write & QA anyway), but Enterprise users can (and it
looks like many will) take another 12 months to gain the new sandbox (not sure
I trust users with that anyway) and similar features.