Re: [LUG] Thunderbird

On 14/11/2019 18:08, Neil wrote:
What I don't understand is that the same set up on my laptop computer is just fine. Being IMAP it should be identical. Both machines are up to date.

Will it eventually put itself right, given time, or do I really need to sort it out somehow? How about I remove some of my old emails, which I do occasionally? Or do I really need to do more?

Thunderbird's representation of your IMAP folder is stored locally (and sync'd with you IMAP folders), by removing the .msf files you remove that local copy and thunderbird will re-sync to re-create those files from the IMAP folder.

If it has been suggested to you to do this, then it would appear that someone feels the .msf files are somehow corrupted locally on your system, and that removing them and allowing Thunderbird to re-create them from your IMAP folders would resolve that corruption.

The .msf files are local to your system, hence you only experience the issue on one of your systems.

This type of corruption does appear to happen from time to time with thunderbird, and the developers know about it, you can do this within Thunderbird on a folder by folder basis (right-click the folder, click Properties, read the bit about .msf files, and if you choose to proceed, click "Repair Folder"), or you can directly remove the .msf files in the Thunderbird folder hierarchy.

Neil

--
Giles Coochey