Re: [LUG] Email clients

On 06/08/18 16:16, Neil wrote:
> On 06/08/18 14:00, Neil wrote:
>> On 05/08/18 13:59, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
>>>

>> I have now had a look at kmail. Luckily I tried it on a spare laptop
>> which I use for tests. I am sorry but I just did not get on with it.
>> For a start it keeps banging on about something called kwallet. I
>> don't want to use that, but it is difficult to avoid it. Then, when I
>> set it up for one of my accounts to test, I did not get the layout I
>> expected. I thought to see a list of all the emails held in the
>> inbox. I still haven't worked out what is showing.
>>
>> I will go on looking, but I have become more impatient with old age,
>> and I just can't be bothered. I certainly won't be using kmail.
>>
>> Neil
>>
> I have now had a look at sylpheed, which I have used in the past. Was
> able to set up a first account, but could not find out how to do any
> more. Am now completely fed up with the whole thing, and I will not
> waste any more time on this,
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Neil

Having fun Neil? Yeah .. this is why we normally stick with what we know
and trust ...

I quickly fell out of love with KMail when it started 'losing' emails,
and regular re-indexing was necessary. Akonadi (The old Personal
Information Manager PIM) backend was notoriously fritzy, and generally
appearance was poor and totally un-customisable outside of the most
basic things. Added to that, and it needed some database backend, and I
threw it out of the window .. When Kmail2 came out, and migration of
mails/settings from Kmail1 was dodgy at best .. yeah, you know where I'm
going here ..

KDE apps used to depend on a set of libraries called (funnily enough)
KDElibs back in the days of KDE v4, but since KDE migrated to the
Frameworks system for Plasma5 (the desktop environment name) these are
now 'kde-frameworks' packages. You will require these, in addition to
any QT libraries for anything needed for visual appearance stuff.

MJE