Re: [LUG] Email clients

On 05/08/18 13:59, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
     > KMail downloads with all dependencies and operates OK.
     > I have also used in in Windows in the past. (Windows only used for
     > tutoring seniors nowadays, for their machines.)

    I did not realise that, so I have always ignored KMail. Now you have
    corrected my mistake, I will certainly look at it. My distro, Linux
    Lite, also uses xfce as its desktop manager.

    Thanks for that,

    Neil

This is actually something that crops up quite regularly on various Linux support platforms.

KMail is an application. It used the QT libraries (as to all other KDE based applications) to draw the window (amongst other things). KDE is a "desktop environment", which uses the QT libraries. It also provides various communication frameworks so applications can communicate with eachother without too much fuss. However, KMail will still work on **any** desktop system as long as the QT libraries are installed. You can, quite happily, mix and match your applications. Want to run KMail to handle your emails, whilst using Thunar to handle your files management, and Epiphany to browse the web? Absolutely fine.

Grant. :)

I did use Kubuntu as my desktop for several years, back in the day. I feel sure that some of the packages I used then were best on KDE. Or perhaps my memory is getting even worse than I thought.

Anyway, I will give it a go and pass on my thoughts on it.

Thanks,

Neil