Re: [LUG] Systemd NFS mount via fstab.

On 24/07/18 16:38, mr meowski wrote:
On 24/07/18 11:31, Julian Hall wrote:

I've done that and all three work.. do I assume the original .mount
files are now defunct and can be removed?
No! Definitely don't do that!

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.automount.html
That's why I asked first. I figured the automounts pointed to the mounts.
Which reminds me - how long living is your Mint PC?
That is a /very/ good question. I certainly didn't do a clean install of 18.3. Thinking about it, Grub has a menu entry for 17.3 so it's entirely possible it's at least 17.0 vintage prior to a clean install.
By which I mean, has
it had a lot of in-place upgrades through distro versions or was it a
clean 18.3 install relatively recently. I ask because I fixed some odd
startup issues on a Mint system last week that had been upgraded in
place since the 16.x series and the problem eventually turned out to be
fragments of the old crappy init system still hanging around and getting
in systemd's way. It suddenly struck me you might be having the same
issue on your system if it's of a suitable vintage which would explain a
lot. What does this get you:

apt-cache policy upstart

If it says upstart is still hanging around, kill it with fire:

sudo apt purge upstart && sudo reboot
It was there and has been killed.
I went into /media/julian and clicked on all three folders and they
mounted correctly so that works as you described. One issue is that
DEMETER has no lock icon on the folder but both HESTIA and PERSEPHONE
do. My guess is that's something to do with permissions / ownership.
Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems sorting that out yourself I hope,
it's obviously a permissions thing. Check your crappy Synology config,
I'd trust that a lot less than the linux PC quite frankly. But
otherwise, this is all working fine now right?

You know far more than me about the workings of Linux, but I have to be
honest I'm still not convinced on that score. All I know is that one day
the mounts came up at boot as normal, the only update I did that day was
to the kernel, and ever since the shares have refused to mount at boot.
No doubt something else happened that I am not aware of, but the only
change I actually made was the kernel update.
Admittedly there is a chance you're still sort-of kind-of right - it
could have been some miniscule but critical change to the version of the
NFS kernel modules being loaded for example. But only kind-of right
because nobody else seemed to be having the exact problem and carried on
auto-mounting NFS with the same OS and kernel versions as you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who cares eh? It works now!

Cheers
I did make one final tweak.. /NOT/ to any files or network settings. In order to get the same functionality as I had previously I needed the mount icons to be on the desktop, however as they were folders making Launchers for them didn't work. It was deceptively simple to do in the end; as root go into /media/julian and click in turn on DEMETER, HESTIA and PERSEPHONE, then Edit -> Create Link. Once I had three Links, copy them to the Desktop, rename them from 'Link to..' to just the share name, and turn off the Desktop option to display mounted volumes otherwise I'd get two of everything. That now gives me the functionality I want. With your invaluable help the shares now react to first selection, and adding the Links on the desktop means I don't have to ferret around for them.

Turning off the option to Show Mounted Volumes could come to bite me in the backside with my weekly backups to USB drives, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Kind regards,

Julian