Re: [LUG] OT - Connecting Devon and Somerset

On 24/07/2018 15:22, Brad Rogers wrote:

Of course, I'm still just conjecturing that:
1. It is WiMax underlying technology
2. Their backhaul is 1Gbps leased lines, and not some other tech (like
Understood.

The problems don't really stop there, many vendors have withdrawn support and have stopped manufacturing a lot of the base station equipment, I did a (very) small Wimax deployment in Gibraltar around 10 years ago, where, thankfully line of sight and scale was not an issue, but I got next to no support from the manufacturer, Alvarion - documentation was terse at best, and I was left to try and test different settings while a colleague suzuki'd around Gibraltar's narrow streets with a small generator and antenna + CPE doing throughput tests from various locations. A frustrating thing was the company I set it up for had already bought the equipment, and our base station antenna was omnidirectional and entry level, so the entire scale of the deployment was never going to backhaul more than 18Mbps.

When I left I think they had gathered about 5 customers, who had previously been stuck on 56K dial-up beforehand for one reason or another, but were now happy to get regions of 512kbps to 2Mbps at an enterprise price (££££)

I now live on the edge of a Devon town, so am happy to be able to get a full-speed broadband package over copper DSL. We would have opted to live in a more rural setting had there been decent connectivity packages available - good bandwidth, decent latency (for VoIP & VC), static IP - All are essential for the work I do.