Re: [LUG] OT - Connecting Devon and Somerset

On 24/07/2018 12:54, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 12:36:39 +0100
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

Since then I can get no more info from anyone and wondering if anyone
out there has a clue whats going on?
Recently, we received a flyer saying Airband was available in our area.
The idea looked promising.  Being interested, I did some checking of
reviews online.  Results were far from encouraging;  Response time to
support tickets frequently measured in weeks (should be within a day,
IMO), rapidly degraded service after initial trial period, general
customer dissatisfaction.

We decided on a !/touch/bargepole approach.

My suspicion with Airband is that the underlying technology is WiMax (https://www.quora.com/Is-WiMAX-technology-coming-to-an-end). I searched, even hopeful on the "How does it work video", but no technical details on their website.

Wimax has its uses, it can easily be set up quickly, but the higher bandwidths are only achievable with line of sight (i.e. you can see the transmitter from where your antenna is). Speeds are reduced to the point of in-operability without line of sight (latency also goes up without line of sight). It's also TDD, which means that if you have 10 customers within the same 10 radial degrees of the transmitter then they have to share the bandwidth allocated to those 10 degrees (which typically is 1/36th of the bandwidth of the backhaul from the transmitter).

With the advent of 4G, LTE most providers dropped tools on WiMax, and decided to concentrate on 4G, which has more bandwidth without requiring line of sight for performance. I know, not much help if you don't have 4G in your area.