Re: [LUG] Video Playing Problem

Hi

Ok to answer the first point. When I typed Desktop Session it simply
said Gnome. So I am assuming Gnome +Xorg. The crashing happens when I
open a file browser. It also crashes when I go to system. But it
doesn't all the time and from what I can remember no one single thing
causes a crash.

Gnome Shell quit unexpectedly.
Running Gnome-shell 3.26.2-2.fc27.x86_64
It won't show me the details just crashes again. It says under reports
ABRT Server

Found out more
reason gnome-software killed by SIGSEGV
crash function gtk_stack_set_visible_child_name

As to the Fedy - sorry I did install but can't find anything called
Fedy. So I presume installing Fedy simply adds the codecs but I'm
unsure.

Thanks

On 30 December 2017 at 19:52, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30/12/17 19:32, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. It does seem to be vlc problem. I have installed
>> mpv and it works without any problems.
>
> As expected. I don't want to open another can of worms but upgrading VLC
> to the latest 3.x RC version will probably fix wayland display issues
> but honestly it's just not worth it. Wait for VLC 3 to hit mainstream
> release instead, and stay away from wayland if you know what's good for you!
>
>> I am running gnome desktop but it keeps crashing. Maybe that is
>> causing an additional problem.
>
> Clarify please? Are you now running Gnome+Xorg instead of Gnome+Wayland?
> Which "gnome desktop" is crashy? Have you switched and it's still
> crashy? Any clues? As usual you've given us very little to work with...
>
>> As you are aware the system has been buggy from the start. I thought
>> it was sorting itself out!
>
> Well you know how it is with computers - two steps forward, one step back.
>
>> I have used rpmfusion. Didn't know about folks with hats though. How
>> do I use fedy though? I can't see an application etc.
>
> Just follow the unbelievably straight forward instructions that are in a
> massive box literally in the middle of the homepage that clearly state
> what to do?
>
> To install Fedy in Fedora, open a Terminal and run the following command:
>
> dnf -y install https://dl.folkswithhats.org/fedora/$(rpm -E
> %fedora)/RPMS/folkswithhats-release.noarch.rpm
>
> I have literally no idea how that could be any less clear!
>
> C'mon man, you've got to put _some_ effort in yourself :|
>
> Cheers
> --

Kind Regards

Richard Brown