Re: [LUG] Video Playing Problem

On 30/12/17 14:17, Richard Brown wrote:
> I cannot see that I am using Wayland though. I am running Gnome so I
> suppose I am on Wayland?

Basically yes you are by default - have a look here:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/f27/system-administrators-guide/Wayland.html

There are potentially quite a lot pitfalls here you could have
unintentionally fallen foul of: wayland is the default with gnome+gdm on
Fedora but it is little bit buggy still. VLC (at least the 2.x release
series which you're probably using) has flaky support for wayland which
should be fixed in the upcoming VLC 3.x (which you're probably not
using). That being said, VLC _should_ be falling back to the nested Xorg
but it's obviously not. However, now all of your other programs _are_
working so it's presumably (another) passing VLC fullscreen+wayland bug
which will probably fixed next update. On top of all that there are yet
further complications with Nvidia drivers (you're using a Nvidia 710
right?) not having mainstream EGL stream support unless you're messing
about with third party repositories...

I would do yourself a massive favour and simply choose the "Gnome on
X11" entry from the session selector when you next login, which will
suffice to set it as the default from then on. For your use case there
is nothing to be gained except headaches beta testing all of this
complicated crap when boring old Xorg will serve you much better.

You should find after logging in to "Gnome on X11" that fullscreen VLC
will just work again and the whole thing should be a lot less flaky and
unpredictable.

Easiest way to check is run "echo $DESKTOP_SESSION" which will just say
"gnome" if you're on Gnome+X and "gnome-wayland" if you're on
Gnome+wayland. Definitely install mpv as well ("sudo dnf install mpv")
for future use - it already has full wayland support for a start.

As a Fedora user are you familiar with rpmfusion? And if you've not seen
it before you'd probably find this very useful:

https://www.folkswithhats.org/

Cheers