Re: [LUG] Video Playing Problem

As ever amazing responses from the team. Thank you both. It is not
dual monitor but good shout.

Step 2 - the missing step - is after rebooting. But I cannot be sure
at what stage or when. It plays in the browser - Netflix and YouTube.
So I am trying to play a combination of mp4 or m4v or avi files. I
also tried a dvd and that is not playing either.

Not sure how to find all the codecs I have installed. But in software
packages it says:
GStreamer Multimedia Codecs
GStreamer Multimedia Codecs - Extra
GStreamer Multimedia Codecs - Licence issues
GStreamer Multimedia Codecs - Extra - CD, DVD, MP3
GStreamer Multimedia Codecs - libav

I ran ps aux | grep gnome-shell
gdm       1063  0.1  1.6 3440576 130332 tty1   Sl+  10:38   0:03
/usr/bin/gnome-shell
browns    1674  3.3  4.6 4120700 369844 tty2   Sl+  10:38   1:44
/usr/bin/gnome-shell
browns    1737  0.0  0.5 992640 43932 ?        Sl   10:38   0:00
/usr/libexec/gnome-shell-calendar-server
browns    3116  0.0  0.4 411796 34396 tty2     Sl+  10:56   0:00
/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/chrome-gnome-shell
chrome-extension://gphhapmejobijbbhgpjhcjognlahblep/
browns    5552  0.0  0.0 119716   960 pts/0    S+   11:30   0:00 grep
--color=auto gnome-shell

Not sure if I am using Wayland or xorg.

Thanks

Rich

On 28 December 2017 at 22:00, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/12/17 21:37, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using Fedora 27 and I had no problems playing videos through vlc
>> and videos. However, now I hear sound but cannot see any picture. I
>> thought I had installed all the relevant codecs. Is there anyway of
>> checking please?
>
> Ok, let's play the detective game again :)
>
> 1: "I am using Fedora 27 and I had no problems playing videos"
> 2: ???
> 3: "However, now I hear sound but cannot see any picture"
>
> You've kind of left out the most important part... what happened at step
> 2? Surely not mid-video so after a reboot? After installing something?
> Changing a plug? It was just like that one day when you turned it on?
> Graphics driver upgrade? *Something* changed and we need to figure out
> what it is.
>
> Which codecs *have* you installed? Is there a specific file type
> (mkv/avi/mp4/etc) that does this or is it all of them? Do you still have
> working video via youtube or whatever in a browser? Does DVD playback
> work if you even have one of them?
>
> Probably the best place to get started is to play back a video as usual
> but launch it from the terminal so you can see what's going on properly. So:
>
> vlc /path/to/some/video
>
> will start up vlc as usual but you can watch what it's doing. Look for
> errors and report back I guess.
>
> Also, try with mpv instead after installing it:
>
> sudo dnf install mpv
> dnf /path/to/some/video
>
> You could also definitely check your usual logs for issues (it's Fedora
> so journalctl to the rescue). Are you running on Wayland rather than
> Xorg as well by any chance? That's definitely going to cause issues and
> it's the default on Fedora now.
>
> Cheers
> --

Kind Regards