Re: [LUG] Router

On 28/12/17 09:30, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> Hi Rich.
>
> I'll try and break this down for you.
>
> Internal network : Transfer speeds UP TO 1Gbps (between internal devices)
> Internet Speed router side : Transfer Speeds UP TO 100Mbps. (between ALL
> devices and modem going out)
> Internet Speed in your area : UP TO 8.1Mbps Down, 2Mbps Up
>
> So your upload speed will always be 2Mbps to the internet from any
> device regardless of internal network wiring.
>
> Hope this helps somewhat.

Daniel's done most of the clarification work for me (thanks chief) so
hopefully it's clearer now where the speed bottleneck is for your
network - it's the ISP and the broadband package you're paying for
firstly and then the slower 100Mbps connection from the old router into
the 1000Mbps device. Or at least, it was.

It seems now that you've ditched the old modem (was it really just a
standalone unit?) and replaced it entirely with a new all-in-one unit
that functions as your ADSL modem, router, wifi basestation and has an
integrated 4 port switch. Presumably it has a Netgear or D-Link badge on
it. "Hubs" are no longer a thing thank god - the 4 ports on your new
gadget are full switching ports and we refer to these devices as
"switches" to distinguish them. We all knew what you meant to be fair
but hubs and switches are very different things.

So now if I'm still following along correctly, you've only got the new
all-in-one box between your wired and wifi clients and the big bad
internet. All wired machines will be running at 1Gbps internally and
your wifi clients at whatever speeds are negotiated depending on the
802.11 standards supported (A/B/G/N/AC etc) between them and the
basestation.

Finally, all internet traffic is shunted through your ADSL connection at
whatever speeds your ISP provides, which Daniel helpfully says are
~8Mbps/2Mbps wherever you live. And of course it doesn't even matter if
you replace your internal networking with a Â40k Brocade converged
100Gbps switch: nothing, including Dropbox uploads, is going out of your
network faster than 2Mbps because that is your hard limit.

Does this all make sense now?

Cheers