Re: [LUG] Merry Christmas All.. automount problem with kernel 4.13 on Mint 18.3

On 24/12/17 22:22, Julian Hall wrote:
> The upgrade procedure was pretty basic: I installed 4.13.. keeping the
> previous version as always (in this case 4.11) and rebooted. The NFS
> shares failed to load. I haven't done any other updates today and it was
> fine up to that point. So I followed your advice and in Grub I chose the
> 4.11 kernel from the Advanced Options, and the NFS shares loaded
> straight away. It does seem to be a problem with this kernel as others
> have posted on forums, albeit with Samba not NFS for all of them, so it
> seems to be a general network share issue.

Is this still an issue by the way? I had a look around the mint forums
and my money is on your super-sketchy NFS automount configuration being
the culprit. There is a lot of complex interplay between the kernel,
networking subsystems and systemd in bringing up network shares and it's
easy to fall afoul of configuration tweaks and best practices as things
upgrade over time.

Knowing you you'll probably just stick with the 4.11 kernel because it
works* but you're going to have to roll with the punches and upgrade at
some point. Automounting via systemd is the way to go on current Mint
(and most other systemd equipped distros now): from reading between the
lines on Mint forums it looks as if this is yet another known bit of
Mint stupidity as plenty of others are having the same problems, mostly
when upgrading from 18.2 to 18.3. Fresh 18.3 installs on the other hand
have been working fine. Meaning of course that Mint have introduced
another one of their typical clumsy mistakes into the upstream Ubuntu
base which didn't have the same problem. And they of course got it from
Debian, who also didn't have this problem. Mint however DOES have this
problem, because it really isn't a very good distro unfortunately.

As usual Arch has some solid documentation available:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS#Client

Have a look particularly at the "Mount using /etc/fstab with systemd"
section for how it should be done.

Cheers

*for now, and for certain values of "works"